Friday, October 10, 2014

September 28, 2014 - End of Summer

Sad to say with the end of summer, also comes the end of my chemo vacation. It's been just under three months since I have had chemo. It has been a lovely holiday, even if I did spend three mornings a week at Compass getting magnesium infusions. I am still coughing a fair amount...but I knew I would. I feel like I have regained some of my stamina. And I know that my blood work has improved. Today I have labs, vitals, see Dr. McC. and of course...a magnesium infusion.

It was good to check in with Dr. McC. as I have not seen her in weeks. She is only at the Rose Quarter office on Mondays, and for my past two appointments she has been out of the office. Dr. McC. and I talked about treatment moving forward. Her first choice of treatment is Doxil, which is also my first choice based on what we talked about previously. I also talked with her about me choosing to get a second opinion (which happens this Friday, Oct. 3rd)...she was understanding and supportive. She is scheduling me for a PET scan next week, and a follow up appointment with her on October 13th.

So about that PET scan...a very nice man phones from Providence to confirm my doctors request for the PET scan and to provide me with some instructions for the morning of. He tells me when he is done he will transfer me to the scheduler. This is where the fun begins....and let me just start by saying...holy Mary, Mother of God. Drive your own health care people...otherwise there is going to be a multiple car pile up! She begins by saying hi, my name is --- and I am going to schedule the ultrasound for your thyroid. WTF? I explained that she had to be looking at another patients file as I was being scheduled for a PET scan. She asked to put me on hold, came back, then she asked to put me on hold again as she was having trouble with the calendar...finally I said...why don't you call me back when you are ready. She agreed and we disconnected. When she phoned back she confirmed that I have Providence Insurance...and wanted to know if I had a history of cancer. Gee...let me think
on that. I told her I have a port (remember this...it will be discussed later...lol)...that seemed to complete the conversation. My PET scan schedule for Wednesday, October 8th...just hope I'm not scheduled for an ultra sound of my thyroid.


No comments:

Post a Comment